Cricket Australia have been given the go-ahead to host the 2020 women's World Twenty20 as a separate tournament "away from the shadow of the men's game".
It was announced on Saturday that the ICC had approved the bid from CA, who believed the women's game would be boosted by the tournament not having to run concurrently with the men's as it has done previously.
The women's World T20 will be held in Australia in February-March of 2020, with the men to compete for the world title in October-November.
"Women's cricket is undoubtedly gaining in popularity around the globe and we felt that by separating the two events we could accelerate that growth," said Cricket Australia chairman David Peever.
"A stand-alone event means we can hold it in stadiums that we can fill, put on TV at prime-time and ensure it has the space to be promoted as the main event, away from the shadow of the men's game."
Previous events have run the two together, often with the women playing first in a T20 double header.
CA was adamant the time was right to separate them, particularly with the success of the first season of the WBBL in 2015-16.
"This decision means we have the opportunity to hold the biggest women's sporting event ever held in Australia," said Peever.