Skip to main content
Main content

WCS could be revamped following Storm snub

More NRL News

The World Club Series could be scaled back to a one-game event following NRL runners-up Melbourne's snubbing of the event.

The Storm on Monday declined an invitation to participate in the pre-season tournament which pits Australia's best rugby league sides against the English Super League grand finalists.

The NRL is in discussions with the Rugby Football League (RFL), the game's governing body in England, about whether it wants the Australians to send over a second side or to restructure the tournament.

NRL head of football Brian Canavan said there were on-going negotiations with English administrators and he expected them to make a determination within the next 24 to 48 hours.

He said should the RFL ask for a second side to be sent out, the NRL would go about trying to lure a replacement.

"We're waiting to here about the actual structure - do they want another team in? There are other options, they'll come back to us," Canavan told AAP.

"If they want another team then we'll go to work on assisting to find another team."

Storm management cited concerns about player workload and the taxing trip having a negative effect on their preparation for the 2017 season.

The Storm were to meet English runners-up Warrington as part of the series, but they turned down the opportunity.

The WCS had already been scaled back to a two-game tournament after 2015 champions North Queensland, Brisbane and Sydney Roosters all took part earlier this year.

It leaves premiers Cronulla, who will face English champions Wigan, as the sole Australian side to have committed to the 2017 WCS, with a number of other clubs expressing hesitation to participate.

All six other top eight sides indicated they would not take up the $400,000 invitation to travel to England next year, having already locked in their pre-season schedule.

Parramatta, Newcastle and South Sydney have also expressed reservations.

St George Illawarra have indicated a desire to take part, with chief executive Peter Doust saying it would be an ideal opportunity to grow the club and the game.

AAP©2016 AAP