Tyson inks contract extension
Photo Source: AAP
Melbourne young gun Dom Tyson has signed a two-year AFL contract extension which will keep him with the Demons until the end of 2019.
The 23-year-old onballer has continued to improve since arriving from Greater Western Sydney in 2014, averaging a career-high 25 disposals per game this season.
"Dom's stoppage craft and his ability to kick goals makes him an important part of the mix in our midfield," football manager Josh Mahoney told the Demons website on Wednesday.
"He has added different layers to his craft each year and we look forward to that continuing as our young midfield develops as a group."
Tyson was runner-up for the Bulldogs' best-and-fairest award in 2014 and placed fourth in this season's count.
The tenacious midfielder looms as an important player under new coach Simon Goodwin as the developing side look to return to the finals.
"For me, it's good to get that security and have a good off-season and know that this is my future for the next few years," Tyson said.
"Hopefully, I'll play for the club for the rest of my career."
The Demons on Tuesday announced former skipper Jack Grimes would not be offered a new contract for the 2017 season, also delisting Matt Jones and Dean Terlich.
Grimes, 27, played 100 games for Melbourne and was a co-captain from 2012-14, but managed just two senior appearances this season.
Melbourne's attention will remain focused on re-signing star forward Jesse Hogan, who is out of contract at the end of next year.
The 21-year-old has been linked to a move back to his home state of Western Australia, with Fremantle particularly eager to secure his services.
Goodwin earlier this month said he had a strong relationship with Hogan and believed the young star would extend his deal with the club.