tmedia
Skip to main content
Main content

The Olympics' most dangerous sport?



More London 2012 News

A random question in case it ever comes up in your local pub trivia night: what Olympic event is played at speeds in excess of 200km/h, features a piece of equipment weighing just five grams and is arguably considered to be the most dangerous sport at the London Olympics?

The answer is badminton, which has been responsible for numerous serious eye injuries over the years according to some of the tournament's players.

Team GB's number one player Rajiv Ouseph told the story this week of how one of his junior coaches had to be hospitalised for two weeks and almost lost his sight in one eye after being nailed from a smash playing shuttle in Indonesia.

This all raises the inconsequential question as to what other sports could be considered the most dangerous here in London?

It's incredibly hard to go past last week's cross country event in the equestrian when it comes to athletes requiring danger money for their pursuits. For those who haven't witnessed cross country, riders and their mounts tackle a brutal, undulating, six-kilometre course over 20-plus jumps, some involving large immovable objects and others involving carefully descending (or falling in some cases) down massive gullies where it's quite easy for the rider to be thrown over the front of their horse at terrifying speed.

Such is the attrition rate, when it comes to falls, that riders are now required to wear the same airbag-style vests that are now mandatory for MotoGP riders. The vests are state-of-the-art pieces of technology which inflate almost instantly once a rider falls to cushion the blow and reduce the internal and external damage caused.

The likes of boxing and mountain biking also contain a fair level of danger, while weightlifting has produced some of the most graphic and gruesome dislocations and breakages over the years. But without being blasé about these unforgiving sports, these injuries generally aren't as permanent or comparable to losing an eye really, are they?

Physioroom.com, a website specialising in the diagnosis and treatment of sports injuries, doesn't list eye injuries on its list of top five badminton ailments, a list which predominantly includes leg and arm injuries. One researcher (Chandra) conducted a study into ocular injuries in badminton back in 1974. These findings were based on over 60 cases of eye injuries from the sport in Malaysia with 86% related to being hit by the shuttle, while alarmingly, the other 14% were attributed to players being hit by a racquet. This raises the further worrying question of how many were hit with their own racquet and how many by their partner, or worse still an opposing player, considering the sport is played in such close quarters across the net.

For the record, the badminton Olympics tournament wrapped up in London a couple of days ago. Thankfully the Australian contingent of five athletes made it through the tournament unscathed from all reports.

So, anyone for a spot of badminton this weekend?



YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

Sally Pearson celebrates her 100m hurdles victory at the London Olympic Games
London 2012

Sally's road to London gold

OLYMPIC LOWDOWN: Take a look back at Sally Pearson's journey from primary school prodigy to Olympic champion

Libby Trickett and her teammates celebrate winning their heat in the women's 4x100m freestyle relay.
Athlete Blog

Trickett: A golden fortnight in London

From representing Australia's gold medal-winning relay team to watching Sally Pearson and Anna Meares triumph, Libby Trickett has had a ball at the London Games

Steve Solomon catches his breath after the men's 400m final at the London Olympics
London 2012

When last is as good as gold

SOAPBOX: Steve Solomon's effort in making the men's 400m final is an achievement the equal of any of our Olympic medallists

Michael Phelps will be wearing more gold when he bows out of Olympics competition for good on Sunday morning AEST
London 2012

Phelps isn't the greatest

RAIN MAN: US champ Michael Phelps has the most Olympic medals, but there are others who can claim to be the best ever

Bradley Wiggins is leading the British resurgence at the 2012 Olympics
London 2012

Brits already gloating over haul

SOAPBOX: Week one isn't even over and the Brits are already gloating over their superior medal tally.