Skip to main content
Main content

Roland Garros redevelopment set to resume

France's highest court has cancelled a suspension of the extension works at Roland Garros.
Roland Garros redevelopment set to resume
Photo Source: EPA

More Tennis News

The redevelopment of Roland Garros, home to the French Open tennis grand slam, was set to resume after France's highest court on Monday cancelled the suspension of the extension works ordered by a lower court earlier this year.

The French Council of State said in a ruling that the Paris administrative court's decision to suspend the works in March had no legal basis.

The planned extension of the site has been put on hold several times by environmental activists looking to protect the neighbouring Auteuil greenhouses.

"The FFT sees its arguments comforted by France's highest jurisdiction and once again obtains confirmation of the legal solidity of its project," the French tennis federation said in a statement.

Part of the extension project is to give Roland Garros a covered court.

While the three other grand slams - Wimbledon and the US and Australian Opens - have at least one showcourt with a roof, there is no hope of a covering appearing at Roland Garros before 2020.

AAP©2016 AAP