Skip to main content
Main content

Lewis remains in limbo

Hawthorn star Jordan Lewis (pic) isn't angry with the Hawks according to his manager.
Lewis remains in limbo
Photo Source: AAP

More AFL News

Jordan Lewis' expected trade from Hawthorn to Melbourne failed to materialise on a quiet day of AFL trading on Monday.

In the only official move of the day, oft-injured Greater Western Sydney midfielder Paul Ahern was traded to North Melbourne in exchange for pick No.69.

Lewis remains intent on switching to the Demons after he was initially urged to contemplate his future by coach Alastair Clarkson.

But Hawks list manager Graham Wright told reporters last week that Lewis was a contracted and required player after news of the potential move emerged following Sam Mitchell's shock departure to West Coast.

The Hawks are believed to have relented to allow the 30-year-old's move to Melbourne, with only the finer details of the trade to be thrashed out.

Several key moves are yet to play out with just three days of the trade period remaining.

Gold Coast pair Jaeger O'Meara and Dion Prestia are trying to get to Hawthorn and Richmond respectively, while Bryce Gibbs is intent on a move from Carlton to home town club Adelaide.

Travis Cloke's move from Collingwood to the Western Bulldogs is also yet to be finalised.

Young Giants Caleb Marchbank, James Stewart and Will Hoskin-Elliott are also waiting to see if moves back to their native Victoria materialise.

Geelong continue to struggle to find a way to land trade targets Brett Deledio and Zach Tuohy.

The Cats aren't keen to force players out to work trades with Richmond and Carlton respectively and the only player they listened to offers for, Steve Motlop, looks set to remain at the club.

List manager Stephen Wells admitted there had been little interest in the mercurial midfielder after the club made it known they would listen to trade offers following his inconsistent 2016 campaign.

The Tigers quickly rebuffed Motlop's inclusion in a potential trade for Deledio and he looks likely to remain a Geelong player.

Motlop's departure would have also given the Cats room to move as they try to land Tuohy.

At his best, Motlop is a damaging line breaker and teammate Tom Hawkins believes he is committed to returning to the club in peak fitness after the harsh reality check.

"I would say he's had some pretty honest conversations," Hawkins told AFL Trade Radio.

"I know from speaking to him over the break he's certainly been training and he's looking forward to playing next year.

"I think he's learned a lot about himself this year. I love playing with him ... the year wasn't a disaster for him by any means.

"I'm very happy that he's staying."

The free agency period closed on Sunday evening with only four players - Daniel Wells, Ty Vickery, Chris Mayne and Nathan Brown - moving clubs.

In other player news on Monday:

* Sydney tall Xavier Richards requested a trade after 12 games in four seasons with the Swans.

* Collingwood didn't match a free agency offer from St Kilda to Nathan Brown - the Pies received no compensation pick from the AFL.

* Pearce Hanley moved closer to finalising his move from Brisbane to the Gold Coast.

* Richmond youngster Ben Lennon is struggling to find an AFL club willing to give him the fresh start he craves.

AAP©2016 AAP