Keane in for hurt Johnson in England squad
Photo Source: PAA
Burnley defender Michael Keane has been given his first England call-up for World Cup qualifiers against Malta and Slovenia after Glen Johnson's withdrawal through injury, the Football Association (FA) said on Tuesday.
Keane, who has featured in all seven English Premier League games for the promoted club this season, has made 16 appearances for England's under-21 side under caretaker manager Gareth Southgate.
"Michael Keane has been handed his first international call-up after Glen Johnson withdrew from the England squad through injury," the FA said in a statement on its website.
Manchester City winger Raheem Sterling was earlier forced to withdraw with an injury and was replaced by Crystal Palace's Andros Townsend.
Keane last week said a national call-up would be the pinnacle of his career.
"Now I'm in the Premier League, I think England has got to be my aim. I want to play at the top level of English football and playing for England is the pinnacle of that," the 23-year-old told Burnley's matchday magazine.
England host Malta on Saturday at Wembley Stadium before travelling to take on Slovenia three days later.
England pipped Slovakia 1-0 last month in their opening Group F game. The group also includes Scotland and Lithuania.