Skip to main content
Main content

Day out of Australian summer

Jason Day's defence at The Barclays is off to a promising start as he sits two shots off the pace.
Day out of Australian summer
Photo Source: EPA

More Golf News

Jason Day's absence from Australian golf courses will stretch into a fourth year with the world No.1 withdrawing from the World Cup of Golf and the Australian Open to rest his ailing back.

Day announced on Friday that doctors had advised him against making the long-haul flight from his US home to Australia in November after tearing a ligament in his back last month.

"I regret that I will be unable to come home to Australia this year," Day said in a statement.

"I was looking forward to playing in the Australian Open and teaming up with Adam Scott on one of my favourite courses Kingston Heath the following week."

The injury prematurely ended his PGA season, but the 28-year-old remained hopeful of being able to partner Scott in the Australian team at the World Cup of Golf at Kingston Heath in November.

The top-ranked Australian duo won the trophy the last time Day played in Australia in 2013.

On that visit he finished tied sixth at the Australian Open played at Royal Sydney Golf Club, which will host the tournament again this year.

Since then Day has become world No.1 and one of the biggest tournament drawcards but local fans will be forced to wait to see the homegrown superstar in action.

While Scott is a regular supporter of Australian tournaments, returning to play most years, the birth of two young children and various injuries have kept Day away.

When the 10-time PGA Tour winner confirmed in June his plans to play the two tournaments he spoke of missing Australia and his desire to win the national title.

A battle royale was on the cards in Sydney with world No.2 and 2014 champion Jordan Speith playing.

"The Australian Open holds a special spot in my heart and I'd love to get my name on that trophy one day - hopefully this November," Day said.

"It's a tournament I've always cherished, just as I know some of the sport's greats have through the years."

World Cup organisers say Scott, who along with Day skipped the Olympics, can now select his partner to form one of the 28 two-man teams for the November 23-27 tournament.

Day has also been forced withdraw from a charity match against former world No.1 Rory McIlroy, which would have been played in the Philippines on November 29 and was designed to raise money for his mother's homeland.

"I'm quite saddened about missing our trip to the Philippines," Day said.

"I was planning on taking my Mum back to her home in the Philippines to visit where we lost members of our family in the typhoon.

"We are to raise much needed funds for these worthy causes brought on by this disaster and I look forward to being there in 2017 to help get this work done."

AAP©2016 AAP